Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, August 7, 2009

Granddaddies

These are my grandfathers. Granddaddy Pete in blue and Granddaddy Bob in red. I found this picture the other day (it's probably 10 years old), and it just made me happy. The Lord really blessed me. I got to grow up close to all of my grandparents. We lived near them, I got to see them often, and I really felt like I had a great relationship with them. I miss both of these men dearly. Granddaddy Bob passed away 2 years ago this week. And, we lost Granddaddy Pete almost 5 years ago.

It got me to thinking about my girls and their granddaddies. Jason's dad, "Gampy", passed away a year ago this Tuesday. Reese never even got to meet him. I know the girls will grow up hearing stories about their Gampy, and I hope that they will feel as if they know him and remember him that way. My dad, "Pops," was just diagnosed with prostate cancer. (for those that didn't know: they've caught it early; it hasn't spread; he's having surgery in October) I hate that Reagan and Reese will never know Gampy, and it breaks my heart and terrifies me to think of losing my dad and the girls not having either of the granddaddies. My grandfathers were both such a big part of my life, and I had always envisioned that for my children as well.

I really feel like Pops is going to be just fine. The doctor was very encouraging. Pops should be cancer-free before Halloween. I'm trusting the Lord to take care of him. But, it's still a scary time. He's my daddy, and it's hard to see him go through this. He's an amazing grandfather. He's so good with the girls, and they love him dearly. I love watching him with them, and I look forward to enjoying that for many years to come. I love you, Dad!

I don't do too many serious posts like this. But, I thought all these amazing men warranted it.
Granddaddy Bob with Reagan - his first great-grandchildGampy with Reagan - fun times!Pops playing with ReesiePops drawing with Reagan

4 comments:

jrh1953 said...

Your post made me cry. I do miss my daddy so much. And Pete was the most amazing man. I know your dad will be fine but it is still a difficult time to be going through. We do love you and Jason and the gilrs so very much.

Holly Heston said...

wow.....I wasn't expecting to open your blog and cry. We have been so blessed to have so many amazing men in our lives. We may be a family full of girls, but the boys we do have sure are special. Love you!

Mike and Brooke said...

What sweet memories...memories that will never fade. Thanks for sharing them. I did not know about your dad Layla, but we will be praying for him and your family. Please keep us updated. Love ya!

Anonymous said...

I love grandaddies, too! What a sweet tribute! It's hard to believe a year has passed since we lost Gampy. So much has happened since, especially our two new sweet editions!! We love y'all & will be praying for your dad & family, too.